Chimichurri

The only Chimichurri recipe you'll ever need! It's incredibly vibrant and jam packed with fresh flavor. It's easy to make and it's the best upgrade to meat and poultry. One of my go-to recipes and for good reason, it will always leave you craving more!

Chimichurri sauce in a small white bowl set over a wooden plate with a spoon to the side.

What is Chimichurri Sauce?

Chimichurri is a condiment or marinade similar to pesto but rather it's parsley and vinegar based. It's a common dish that you'll find in South American and Central American countries such as Argentina and Mexico.

My husband lived in Argentina for two years before we were married so he introduced me to a few of the classics that I instantly fell in love with. Among there were breaded Milanesa, flakey beef and olive filled Empanadas, Alfajores cookies layered with sweet dulce de leche, and lively homemade Chimichurri sauce.

Of course I was smitten after once taste of that refreshing sauce and I've been making it regularly ever since. My family loves it and it's a simple way to upgrade an otherwise insipid chicken or steak dinner.

Plus it's a healthy recipe jam packed with fresh herbs and it has no added added sugars (unlike bbq sauces and others).

Overhead close up image of chimichurri in a bowl set over a wooden plate on a marble surface.

Is This Recipe Authentic?

Authentic Argentine Chimichurri is made with parsley and oregano, but no cilantro. I prefer the flavor of the added cilantro but to make it authentic you can omit the cilantro and replace with more parsley. The region my husband lived in also never served spicy food (even black pepper) so depending on the area red pepper flakes may not be authentic.

Other additions I added for more flavor were some red onion and a bit of lemon in place of some of the red wine vinegar. They're the perfect finishing touches! Read More »

Comments