Friday Faves

Hello, hello, and happy Friday!

I’m writing to you from the comfort of one of my best friends homes in Los Angeles. I’m sitting on her bodacious patio, staring at the twinkle lights shimmering over the pool as she slumbers in her bed. It early evening still, yet she’s wiped out. It was an active day for her that would be looked at by others as a normal one.

My friend has stage 4 breast cancer. So many things are different now.

But all in all, things are good. She’s super positive, tenacious, and ready for the fight. Good thing she’s a researcher because if anyone can figure out a plan, she can. Plus, she has a perfectly shaped head that thanks to my husband’s deft shaving hand and my determined ways of persuasion is now perfectly shaved and she is totally rocking it.

So why am I sharing all of this? As a reminder to:

  • Get your boobies checked. Schedule your mammogram today. Her cancer appeared and shot to stage 4 in just 8 months since her last mammogram. Make the appointment.
  • Find joy every day. This has been my friend’s mantra. Let the little things go. Enjoy life. Travel. Make it all count.
  • Spend time with those you love and don’t waste time on those who don’t. Call your mom. Visit your best friend from college who you haven’t seen in 10 years. Snuggle with your kids, your mate, and your pets. Make the moments you spend with them count.

I’m not sharing any of this to get your sympathy, or as she says, to “play the C card”. I’m only sharing it to remind you and myself,  that we all hold the keys to our own happiness in the palms of our own hands and in the beliefs of our own minds.

To my sister, thank you to the moon and back for picking up my slack, and to my mama, I love you and I’ll be home to hold your cheeks still soon. xoxoxo

Now it’s time to dig into this week’s list of Friday Faves, so let’s get started!(...)
Read the rest of Friday Faves (514 words)


©FoodieCrush for FoodieCrush Magazine, 2018. | Permalink | No comment | Add to del.icio.us
Post tags:

The post Friday Faves appeared first on foodiecrush.

Comments