Gyudon (Japanese Beef Rice Bowl)

Gyudon (Japanese Beef Rice Bowl)
Gyudon (牛丼), short for gyu donburi, or beef rice bowl, is a Japanese dish consisting of beef and onions on a bowl of rice. In Japan gyudon is fairly common and might even be considered a type of fast food with several large chains that specialize in it such as Yoshinoya and Sukiya. I made sure that I tried the gyudons at both Yoshinoya and Sukiya when I was in Japan on vacation (years ago), I enjoyed both of them and this is my favourite homemade version! You basically simmer onions in a broth seasoned with soy sauce, mirin and sugar until the onions are tender before adding the beef and cookinguntil the beef is just cooked before pouring it over rice in a bowl. These beef bowls are so easy to make at home, taking less time than it takes to cook the rice, and they are so good!

Read the recipe »

Comments